Thursday, July 21, 2011

Out of my depth Thursday

I feel like a total waste of time teaching the IELTS class in the afternoon. They have paid good money for the course, and even more when they take the exam and they expect me to be able to help them listen and speak to a very high level, and I'm not sure I can. I have no real knowledge about the test and can't really let them know where they are at or what score they could realistically expect, and they seem to think I can. It's totally not fair to them, they should have someone who knows about it teaching them - that is what they paid for, not someone whose been teaching for two months and has no knowledge about the techniques or tests. I'm going to talk to Richard tomorrow, because I just feel like it's not right. They deserve someone who knows and who can help them properly.

1) It was rainy and stormy today, and I liked it. The ocean looked awesome from the harbour bridge. I keep wondering what it will be like to almost never see the sea when I'm in Korea. I see it multiple times every day, I can even see it from my house, so to not be near the sea might be a bit different. Don't they say the sea had negative ions or something that affect how you feel? I don't know.

2) I gave out some chocolate bars today, to the kids who were trying hard or did really well. Some of them seemed really proud when they got one :)

3) I also had to go hard-arse today. A couple of students would not be quite when I was talking, and on top of being incredibly annoying, it stops everyone from concentrating on my awesome grammar explanations. So, I did the thing I do where I put steel in my voice and told them to please stop speaking when I was. I possibly went a tad too steely, because they seemed a little afraid after that, but it certainly worked. The class was much more respectful. It's good to remember that it is perhaps not what you say, but how you say it, and having a clear line that you don't want crossed (ie: talking quietly during activities is fine, but be quite when I'm talking).

4) I'm making prawn pasta for dinner. Yum!!

5) I'm really enjoying this song on the way to work:


No comments:

Post a Comment