Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Disaster has struck! Wednesday

Ok, not disaster so much as a forced change of plan. Most people take public schools jobs in Korea for the added security they provide, right? Well. My recruiter emailed me yesterday to tel me that funding has been cancelled for the whole of Gyeonggi province's public school native English teacher program. This means I lost my job in Pyeongtaek! The email he sent me was reiculous - it contained no details, just a link to a new paper article about the budget cut. He even asked if I wanted to reconsider that Christian school because they still had open positions. I'm not surprised really... perhaps it's because they're nutjobs?!? The oh so sensitive email he sent (out of the blue) to tell me I had lost my job which I have been super excited about (and quit my job, and started moving for):

Samanta  as this  article, all gepik schools announced  stop hiring
nothing much I can do at this moment.
can yo still consider the christian school?
they still need 2 more teachers
pls let m eknow
tha you


I was a little confused, to say the least. I've had some more reliable communications with other people since and I have, indeed, lost my job! I was a bit bummed last night, but I have since come up with a new plan. 

I'm going to go to Korea anyway and find a job while I'm there. I'm predicting I'll have to go for a private academy, which means I'll be teaching kindy and only get 10 days holiday, but I'm going to go and make sure the school and the accommodation are awesome before I commit. What makes this even worse is all the other GEPIK teachers have lost their jobs too, so the market will be flooded with native English teachers! But, I have my heart set on Korea, and my mind made up to go to Gyeonggi, so I'm going to do what I have to do to make this happen. So:
Christian School
Pyeongtaek
= New amazing plan of adventurous awesomeness.
I now just have to work out where my rather expensive bundle of documents are in Korea and whether I should leave them with the recruiter or try to get them back. I'm thinking that getting them back might be a good idea, in case I get over there and magically, despite all assurances, can't get them.
ARGH! I was so nice and settled on the public school in Pyeongtaek :(

No comments:

Post a Comment