Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's my birthday Wednesday

I've had a lovely birthday today, and last day of work at school.
My friend Jennifer sent around a card at work and everyone signed it, which was so nice! My friend Hannah gave me a lovely box of chocolate truffles, and one of my classes found out it was my birthday and wrote 'Happy Birthday Sam!' on the board before class and sung me happy birthday. All very sweet :)

Also, after work I went out with Jennifer, Ewen, and Hannah and had a drink and a pizza. We swapped some pretty funny work stories and had a chance to say goodbye. I really enjoyed it. I wished we'd done it more when I wasn't leaving! This is definitely something I'll have to remember for the future :)

Lastly, Brook and I went out to Renkon for dinner, and I had some yummy chicken, and then an amazing chocolate ice-cream affogato from Movenpick. Seriously, it was awesome!

I was a bit sad to be leaving work, because I really like the job, but I will certainly NOT miss the two to two-and-a-half hour commute into the city every day! I will miss the students, the other teachers, and the supportive work environment, though. I reckon it was a pretty awesome first teaching job.

Also, on the Korea front, I'm moving ahead with operation 'go to Korea without a job'. I'm going into the travel agent on Friday to talk about it. I really just want to get going. I'm ready to go, and being there might help me get the job I want. I've also decided (thanks Dad) to get another complete set of documents ready, so I will have one with me and one already in Korea, just in case. I rang the Ministry of Justice today, and luckily they will reissue me with a criminal check right away, so I don't have to reapply and wait again. Good news!

1) I got a card, some chocolates, and lovely birthday wishes from everyone.

2) THE affogato.

3) My criminal check should be quick.

4) I just looked at my passport, and my face looks exactly like it did in 2004 when I was 17. No wonder people tell me I look young!

5) Last day of work! No more waking up at 6am to ride the freezing bus to work. Woohoo!

Birthday Bonus Things:

6) I had a steak pie for breakfast. Why? Peanut butter on toast doesn't cut it on your birthday!

7) I realised that I possibly do have some sort of entrepreneurial own-my-own-business kind of streak. I thought I was destined to work for others forever, but it turns out, I can think of some other options :)

8) My students drew portraits of each other today. Some of the results were hilarious!

9) I wore a different dress to work today and heaps of people told me how nice it was and that they liked it. Honestly, like 5 or 6 people at different times commented on it :)

10) I've lost 1/2 a kg of the 3kgs I've put on since starting work/winter arriving. The key? Stop eating junk food and chocolate bars! Second key? Reduce carbs :) Thanks mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment