Thursday, June 7, 2012

Memorial Day Yesterday Thursday


Yesterday was a day off work, and I had an amazing day! Courtney invited me to come along with her and some Korean ladies she knows to go into Seoul. My first thought was "nah, how can I get out of that", and then, once again, I was like "Shut up Sam and tell her yes". So I did. 

I met up with her and the ladies (5 Korean ladies and 4 of their younger children) at Osan City Hall in the morning where we caught a bus and then the train into central Seoul. We went for an awesome walk around some traditional Korean neighbourhoods full of lovely architecture, greenery, and cute little shops and galleries. The sun was out and everyone was so nice and friendly. Some of the ladies spoke great English and others were more unsure, but all were funny and great company.












After walking for a few hours we went for lunch and I tried ice cold noodles. It's a common summer dish in Korea. It's a lot of noodle, as Courtney put it :) I enjoyed it, but it wasn't good enough to want again. After lunch we got some Hagen Daaz ice cream - I got dulce de leche flavour and it was amazing!


Then we walked over Insadong, a traditional shopping area of Seoul and looked at all the handmade fans, jewellery, art, and snacks. I got a bracelet that I love from an old Korean guy making them at his stall. The we were all knackered and sunburnt, so went back to Osan.







Nyasha called Courtney on our way home and wanted to have dinner, so we asked the Korean ladies for a recommendation. We ended up going to a shabu-shabu restaurant, which is so cool because I've been meaning to find one and go for ages! Nyasha, Courtney and I had a good catch up and at ALL the food!

Shabu-shabu comes in three courses here. First you eat the meat and vege boiled in the broth, then you get noodles and boil them in the broth and eat them, then you make a thick rice porridge out of all the leftovers and eat that. All for $11 a person. We were all stuffed!! It was very nice, too.








So, from start to finish, a lovely day!

Back to work today, though. Another day with no classes. I'll try for after school class AGAIN today :) I have been pretty busy at my desk though. Mr B. says we have another open class on Wednesday the 20th, so I've done all the lesson planning and materials prep for that. I just finished. But I'm not going to give it to Mr B. for a few days. He always seems a bit annoyed if I'm too quick to finish things for him. Maybe feels threatened or something.

OK, today's 5:
1) fantastic day yesterday

2)Lots of sun!

3) Had some good work to do today.

4) I finally remembered to tell Mr B. my aircon doesn't work. He made a phone call, don't know what'll happen now.

5) I've got bacon, letuce, and avocado in my fridge! Bring on the breadless BLA for dinner.

*       *        *

So, one kid turned up for class (and then another one after about 25 minutes). Mr B said to just finish at 5:30, so she spent a good 20+ minutes writing this message on the board. It was a really good effort for her!


And here's the cute beagle puppy: 


No comments:

Post a Comment