Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hurt myself hiking Tuesday

Sorry! It's been a few days. I've been busy!
On Friday Andy came over and went out for dinner. We had this really nice rice and fish egg thing that comes in a hot stone pot - it was yum!

Saturday was hiking! Andy and I woke up at 5am to get into Seoul in time to meet up with the group. We made it just fine, met everyone, and took the private bus a couple of hours to Seoraksan National Park. The group was pretty big - about 40 people in all - mostly Americans, but some Korean, and a few people from Europe too. We started hiking at about 10.30 and for about an hour it was pretty hard going. Very steep up, a lit of steps and rocks and stuff. I found it really difficult to appreciate the scenery because I was concentrating so hard on climbing and not falling over. At about 12 we reached the peak of our trail (the super easy trail). Andy went an extra 25 minutes up to the peak of the peak, but I wasn't having any of that! He got some nice photos, anyway. Then, we started the down part of the trek, which was much longer, but much easier. There were lots of rivers, caves, and waterfalls, and it was really beautiful. We stopped for lunch and saw some really tame chipmunks - very cute! More hiking, and we stopped at a spot in the river. Andy went swimming! Which I would have bet money against him doing - take off his shirt and swim in water that might have bugs, and dirt, and stuff in it? I'd have said no way, but there you go - in he went. I love that he surprises me like that.

Anyway, we got back to the bus at about 5pm, then went to a nearby restaurant for some dinner. Both Andy and I had bibimbap, which was mediocre. Then, back on the bus for the trip back to Seoul. Weirdly, after about 15 minutes on the bus, so maybe 2 hours after we finished hiking, my ankle got a bit achy.  Then it got really achy. Then it got swollen and really really achy. It was very painful. Andy took care of me though, and after I convinced him I didn't need to go to the hospital, he took me to his sisters house, which was very close to where the hiking bus dropped us off, and I put some ice on my ankle. His sister and brother-in-law weren't home, but his nephew was, so we played cards for about an hour while I iced my ankle. Then Andy's brother-in-law came home and offered to drive us back to Osan since he was going out that way anyway. At 11pm. I dunno. Anyway, got home with a minimum of fuss.

Sunday was spent sleeping, resting my ankle, and eating. Now my ankle is pretty much fine. I have a bandage on it for a bit of added support, but I don't think I'll need it by tomorrow. A bit weird, and very painful, but I'm glad it was so short lived. Andy was really wonderful and helpful, so I cooked him a special dinner of home made hamburgers followed by home made chocolate mousse. He seemed appropriately impressed :)

Now it's Tuesday and I have two weeks of no teaching to deal with, as mid-term tests are coming up. I only have just under three weeks of work to go, all up. AND! I just found out that this weekend is a 5 day weekend! I knew it was long, but Tuesday is not an official public holiday (Monday and Wednesday are), so I figured I'd have to come to work. I just asked about it this morning and there's no school that day - so 5 day weekend! Woohoo! What am I going to do? I need a project or something. No point in trying to go anywhere... the whole rest of Korea will be in all the good holiday spots. Plus, it's too late to book now. Hmm, shopping in Seoul, finally go to the garden of the morning calm? Do some art, craft, and cooking? Sounds pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment