Tuesday, August 28, 2012

So angry Tuesday

I am so angry I can barely type. Horribly, when I get majorly angry it makes me want to cry, so I'm not only super angry, I'm trying not to cry too.

So, this typhoon - there're storm warnings all over the show. School has been cancelled for all students in a big chunk of the country (all of Seoul and Gyeonggi province (where I live)), Andy's work (the American air base) is closed, they've shut down sea ports, grounded flights, and so on. But guess what? I still had to come to work. Yup, no kids, major storm warnings, and I have to go to work to do nothing. I called Mr Baek this morning to say I was scared/worried about the storm and could I please use one of my sick days to stay home? He said no. He said that only the students got leave today. I said "So, the students aren't coming in to school because it's too dangerous, but the teachers still have to? Even though it dangerous?" He said "Yes. It's Korean rules". I said that I was still worried - if it's dangerous for the kids then it's dangerous for me too... Then Mr B got really frustrated, talked to the whole staff room in Korean (while I'm still on the phone to him), they all burst out laughing, and then he tells me that if I don't come in to work immediately he will give me a warning. Yeah, there's no students, I'm scared of the typhoon, want to use a sick day and instead get threatened with a warning. Nice.

Andy was/is really worried and said I should just have taken the warning. But, it's like my whole life in Korea is owned by the school, so they kind of own me a little bit. If they fire me, they can demand I move out and revoke my visa. It makes a good argument for renting my own place the next time around. Andy said he'd help me out with it, and I'm sure it would make me feel more in control.

Bah, so that's today's crap. Well, so far, anyway. Even crappier, I forgot to bring my glasses to work and I have no lunch. And I'm pretty sure it'll be too stormy for Andy to come over after work. Well, I'm off to research some anti-anger techniques because I'm really not doing myself any favours by being so mad.

Lol, and now the school is having intermittent power cuts. I guess I should open a bunch of webpages to read when the internet goes down and there's not enough light to read my kindle and all the teachers have to sit here in the dark. As ling as we're at work, though, right?

Also: The key to calming down? Tell the person you forgive them. I still think Mr B is a giant prick, but I told him it's not his fault and that I forgive him, and now I feel better.

Ok, five things in an attempt to salvage my day:
1) I caught a taxi to work instead of waiting in the wind and rain for the bus. My taxi driver was really nice and managed to make me laugh through my rage. Thanks taxi driver!

2) I just discovered the sock bun yesterday. I tried it last night and it actually works and looks really good!

3) I ate some of the hokey pokey chocolate Jenni sent me. It's really sweet, and a real treat.

4) I'm going to have salmon for dinner. Even if there is a massive power cut and I can't cook it - Imma eat it raw, dammit. What makes me feel better when I'm down? Salmon!

5) I've just started exploring 'Pinterest'. Man, what a time blackhole that is. It is perfect for my work day! I was totally going to do some lesson planning today for after school class and the open class next month, but screw it. I don't wanna. I'll do it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment