Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Warm Tuesday


It is fantastically worm today :) I'm in a skirt and t-shirt at work, and it's so nice. Today was a late start day for me, because I've got after-school class until 6pm. This morning I got lots of cooking done, like making soup and roasting my 'on-sale-for-being-a-bit-wrinkly' capsicums. Also, boiled some eggs, which have become my favourite 'go-to' snack. They're so tasty and portable. I like to marinate them in a bit of soy sauce in the fridge.

Today has been really normal, so far. Although, my teaching prospects for today aren't looking good. It's test week next week, and I think Mr B is going to want to do a heap of to-the-test teaching by himself. He's done it with one class today, so I'm hoping the other two will be different. Especially since the grade two girls just came and found me at lunch to beg me to come to class and teach them. Poor buggers... like I have any control over what happens. They also now thing that Mr B. has been lying to them about me being sick because when they asked me if I was ok, I said I was only a little bit sick, and they said he'd told them I was basically on death's door, and they think he lies. I tried to tell them he was being nice to me, and I was pretty sick a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not sure how much got through. I'm a little worried about them saying bad things about him, and associating it with me, because I don't need my relationship with Mr B to be any more frustrating than it already is. Well, I can only do my best, I suppose.

Lunch today was disappointing. If I had had the rice it would have been a tray full of rice, mashed sweet potato, and noodles... carb/starch overload! I had my own cauli-cabbage-butter-garlic mix with me, didn't eat the mashed kumara (other than one mouthful to determine it was globby and tasteless), but did chow down on the noodle tentacle stirfry. Yesterday was a good lunch - one of my favourite dishes pork and quail eggs in a yummy ginger sauce. Those quail eggs are the bomb! Anyway, to make up for lunch today I've got a boiled egg and some pork in my bag for an after school snack. I can't wait to eat it!

So, today's five things:

1) I watched the film/documentary 'Fat Head' last night. It's a reply to the movie 'Supersize Me' where the guy eats fast food and gets all sick and fat. Well, this guy refutes that guy and it was a really interesting and entertaining film. It made some excellent cultural points, as well as taking a good look at the carb/low fat/high fat/cholesterol... well... fuck up for want of a better term. Good film, I'd recommend it. I'm also reading Gary Taubes' 'Good Calories, Bad Calories', which is a bit heavy going at times (his writing style is a bit complex for my taste, and also pretty scientific), but the points he's making are kind of shocking and VERY interesting. Haha, but you'll have to read it yourself :)

2) It's so warm and I spent lunchtime sitting in the sun.

3) With all my down time today I've written myself a really good reference letter. I'm thinking that at some point I'm going to ask Mr B. to write me one for when I leave, but also offer to write one myself for him to read and sign. I'm hoping he takes the second option :) I'm going to get around to updating/upgrading my CV in the next few days, too.

4) I'm going to my first ever baseball game on the weekend. I've never seen a baseball game before, and I don't really know the rules or anything. Apparently it's hugely popular here, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going with the 'Lost in Seoul' meetup group, which seems to attract nice people, so that'll be cool.

5) Banana, plain yoghurt and almonds. Enough said :)

P.S. Nope, turns out no teaching for me today.. I assume I still have after school class. I'll ask next period. I just tried to go to class, and Mr B. told me to take a rest 'for tomorrow'. Our open class is tomorrow, which he has told me in passing, must be 'perfect'. Not sure why, and it should be fine. The class was great the first time around, and should be even better the second. As long as Mr B. can keep his 'teacher talk time' (ttt - it's a real thing) to a minimum, the timing should be fine, and I expect it to go well. It's certainly not something I'm going to stress over. Having been through the lesson observations of the CELTA, this doesn't even register :)

Man, that CELTA course is one of the best things I've ever done. It was so practical and challenging. I loved it! Maybe one day I'll go for the DELTA. I heard that it's mega intense. I still worry that my time teaching here is making me crappier, not to mention lazier. Hopefully my next job can give me more valuable learning and teaching experiences. I'm certainly going to choose it with more care.

No comments:

Post a Comment