Sunday, April 22, 2012

Rainy Saturday

I had such a nice Saturday! I'm not sure where it went, though! It rained all day, so I stayed tucked up in my apartment nearly the whole time. In the evening, though, I went into Suwon to meet up with Amy, a girl I met when I went to Lotte World a few weeks ago. We had dinner at Outback Steakhouse, which is a seriously over-priced restaurant! In true Korean fashion they put sugar where it doesn't belong. I'm really wondering if South Korea has any kind of problem with type 2 diabetes, the amount of sugar in stuff here. Well, I had a gorgonzola steak, and the steak was cooked (or not cooked in my case) perfectly! However, the gorgonzola was whipped with cream, and it was sweet. I had to scrape it off and just eat the steak :) So, I paid about $30 for a bit of rare steak. Ah well. Amy was good company, and after dinner we wandered around the shops and she bought a dress and I got this awesome Carebears t-shirt! Sadly there was no My Little Pony ones, but I really like this one :)


What else did I do yesterday? I mainly ate, surfed the web, and did some exercise. Oh, I've discovered that whole roasted kumara eaten with butter makes a really yummy breakfast! It tastes a lot like a hot muffin with butter. So, I've been roasting a batch of sweet potatoes in my toaster oven and then keeping them in the fridge. Then, when I want one, zap it in the microwave for a minute, grab some butter and eat. It's really nice. I think if you ate it with berries, or sprinkled some ginger or cinnamon on top it might be even better. I'll give it a go :)

Also, for yesterday's lunch I had some pigs feet! They're called jokbal (족발) and they're quite popular here. They take the pig's trotters and boil them for ages in a secret sauce and then chop it up and sell it at the market. They come out really sticky, gooey, and tasty (though I have to put salt on mine. Korea has too much sugar and not enough salt). I reheat the jokbal under the grill and it's very tasty. However, it is VERY fatty, which I enjoy, but it's even a bit much for me sometimes. Yesterday I finished off my pack, I'd left the bones until last, so I had a heap of gooey, tasty pig foot bones for lunch. yum!


What else? Well, it looks like I won't be going to the Lady Gaga concert, after all. I just found out that you have to be there four hours before the concert starts, or you lose you place and have to take whatever space is left after everyone is inside the stadium. Also, Nyasha found out she has to work that day and can't come with me. It sucks because I can't get into Seoul that early, and there was no mention of this when I bought the tickets. I'm not terribly upset because I'm actually not that super keen on the new Lady Gaga CD anyway. It would have been cool to go and see her, but I'm not really a huge fan, so to have to go alone and have crappy standing room positions makes me more interested in getting my tickets refunded.

And here's a few photos of stuff I've talked about this week but haven't put pictures with:






This is the exercise park by the river.


Footpaths are covered in seedlings for sale.


Today (Sunday) I'm off to Hongdae with Laura to visit a dog petting cafe. Interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment