Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day in Seoul Thursday





Today is Korean independence day - they day they seceded (it's my new word) from Japan. Everywhere is flying Korean flags - and because it's a public holiday, I think everyone was shopping in Seoul! My first stop was Itaewon, where I have spent precisely no time at all since coming to Korea. I thought that because it was a massive foreigner centre, they'd have running shoes that'd fit me. I was wrong :( But more on that in a sec. I was there for lunch, where I found a Taco Bell. I love Taco Bell!! Mmmm... I had a crunchy grilled beef wrap thingie. Very yummy! Then I browsed the English bookstore for a while, before heading to Myeongdong.

Myeongdong was insanely busy! I only spent about half and hour there, as there were too many people in every single store. You could hardly move, let alone browse. So, back on the subway and down to the Co-Ex shopping mall. I had a salty caramel ice cream from Basking Robbins, and then AGAIN got lost in the mall. I had a map and everything. I get lost every time!! Anyway, I found the bookstore and had a really good browse of their ESL textbooks. They had a huge range of both Adult and Kids ESL books, and I'm going to ask my co-teacher if the English class budget at school might buy me a couple of new ones. I only have really baby-ish, Koreanised books to use at the moment. We will see :)

Having done a few trips into Seoul now, I've realised there's not really much point in going there to browse. It's a long trip, and there is pretty much exactly the same stores with the same selection here in Osan. With the exception of a few speciality places, the trip's not really worth it.

And now I'm home. So, today's five things:

1) Because they had no women's running shoes to fit me - I got mens! I ended up with a very nice pair of New Balance running shoes, which I have christened "the purple pavement eaters". Why? Because they are entirely purple. Like, really, really purple.
This isn't exactly the shoes I got, but it's pretty close. Mine just look more 'sporty'.

2) Salty caramel ice cream. Need I say more?

3) Taco Bell for lunch. I wish they had one in Osan!

My lunch. Damn, now I want another one!

4) It was so warm today that I spent a large portion of my time outside with only a light cardigan. I'm very excited for the warmth!

5) Hmmm, number five is really stumping me. Well, I was so distracted by being out and about, and not being run over by a hoard of Korean people that I didn't feel crappy or sick all day. Sadly, now I'm home it's creeping back in. I really hope running will help. I'm going to start on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment