Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Monday update


Once again, it's been a few days.
Well, dinner last Thursday did turn out to be spectacular. It was pricey (for Korea at about $25 a person), but it was all you can eat, and was so, so good! It was all different cuts of raw tuna, which you dipped in soy sauce and ate with seaweed. There was wasabi too, but I'm not a fan (actually, I hate it). The tuna came frozen, and so the meal was really slow and leisurely as you waited for it to thaw. Every mouthful was like a treat. The tuna was so tender and really very good. We were enjoying our meal so much that they gave us a special dish - cuts of tuna with gold leaf on top! Yeah, actual gold! So fancy. I really enjoyed it, and will definitely go back there. I was so full of tuna by the end though. Sadly, I forgot my camera! Next time I will get photos.

Friday was a normal day. Well, it was 'test' day again, so I had no teaching (which they only told me about a third of the way through the day... madness. So, I was pretty bored, but I spent some time proofreading my brother's new website, Waterfront NZ. It's a really cool site for buying and selling waterfront property in NZ. And, just incase someone other than my mum reads this blog, eve, here's a link :) 

There was one really funny moment at school on Friday. At lunch, I was sitting with the rest of the teachers, and the vice-principal started making some gesture with his little finger. It was exactly like the gesture we use to imply a guy has a small... package. I must have been looking at him strangely, because the teacher next to me said that that gesture means boyfriend or girlfriend in Korea, and that the VP was making a joke about having a girlfriend (he's married). I was like 'Ooooh, ok'. She asked what it meant in English, and I was kind of reluctant to say, but eventually, I told her. She cracked up, then I cracked up, and then she told the VP, and he looked really serious. The he was like "Hmmm, no, no, more like this...." and started making a bigger gesture, which cracked everyone up. It was pretty funny, and a nice moment considering I'm usually left out of everything :)

Saturday was a relaxed day. I went to a Welcome Dinner in the evening in Seoul. Quite a big group of expats got together and we had Brazilian BBQ meat. I feel in wasn't that good quality, and over priced (Korean food would have been better - it was welcome to Korea, after all), but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I had an ok time, but was sat next to a really annoying guy. It's nights like that that remind me that there's nothing wrong with your own company!

Sunday night was my trip to Lotte World! This was a let down, but only because there were so many people. The lines for the rides were really long, like over 40 minutes for most things, which kind of ruined my enjoyment a bit. I think it is somewhere I'll try to go back to on a weekday sometime though. It was a pretty interesting place. I took a few photos, but because we were there at night, it was difficult to get pictures to do it justice.

And now it is 3pm and I have finished teaching for the day. I now have to find a way to spend the next two hours before I can go home. It seems like a long time  between 3pm and 5pm some days :(

No comments:

Post a Comment