Friday, March 2, 2012

Five on Friday

The new school term started today. I didn't know what to expect, but it's pretty much been a normal day. I had to go and get introduced to the school (along with all the other teachers) via a video link that went to all the classes this morning. Why it was done by video and not just in an assembly, I don't know. Anyway, I just had to smile and bow when the vice principal said my name. Nothing very major. I've also been in four classes today. Yeah, been in them, not taught them. And so it begins. Four 45 minute classes of me sitting there and trying not to look like I'm falling asleep while my co-teacher talks to the class non-stop in Korean. Bummer.

I also got a bunch more students who wanted me to correct their writing. I spent my free time today working on a corrections code and chart so that I can just put a symbol by the thing that's wrong and *they* have to fix it. Because what I've been doing is just re-writing their work - not a very good learning/teaching strategy. Most of the work I got given today was really good though. I'll put pictures up here so you can see what some of them wrote. I didn't get pictures of the ones so confused and messed up I had to send them back, unmarked. We're talking sentences with one gap for every three words, and sentences that looked like : "My of lovely, father. And cakes. I love of the My father." Yeah.... what?







Work has been a nice distraction today. School lunch was especially welcome. Dumplings, a juicy beef thing, rice, and soup. I've taken to skipping the kimchi. I don't like it any more.

Ok, today's five things:

1) School lunch is baaaack! Yummy, warm, filling, and served by sweet lunch ladies. What more could you ask for in the middle of your work day?

2) The new 1st graders started today. They were so little and cute (must be about 10 or 11 years old). Some of them were even brave enough to try talking to me. One kid, at lunch, ran around yelling and then tried to play peek-a-boo with me. He was thoroughly delighted when I told him he was crazy :)

3) I'm going out for dinner tonight. I am 100% not in the mood at all - I'm tired, tense, and pretty much just want to curl up in bed with my hot water bottle, a crappy romance novel, and a chocolate bar. There's time for that tomorrow though... I better get my ass out there.

4) I'm very excited about starting my running program tomorrow. I've been getting a little scared these last few days that I might get depressed. You know, it has only happened once, and it was mild enough that I could get better without anything major or medical, but I am constantly on the alert for it now! Any slightly prolonged feelings of down-ness and I'm like "Oh crap! Panic! Don't let it happen again!". Exercise is certainly a well recommended method, and it's what worked last time. So, I am excited to get going. However, I realised last night, I had spiffy new shoes, but no clothes to run in! I can go in jeans :) So, a quick trip to E-Mart this afternoon should solve that. I'll probably have to buy some men's shorts, but that's ok. So, tomorrow, after my Korean class - I'm going running!

5) Hmmm... five is eluding me again. Oh, I know! I was pretty happy to see most of the kids today. For the most part they're a happy, friendly bunch, and I generally enjoy them a lot. They seemed pleased to see me too, so that felt really nice.

Oh, a bonus! 6) one of the lady teachers started talking to me on the way to class! Of her own accord! She was complaining how she was tired and having a bad day, but I'll take whatever I can get :)

Ok, that's all, time to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment