Thursday, March 29, 2012

Still frustrated Thursday

Some days I wish I was the kind of girl who could throw a massive paddy and not feel bad about it afterwards. I really feel like throwing one right now. Mostly I was to scream, stomp my feet, and then storm out of the building. 

My co-teacher told me this morning that I'd be teaching all the classes alone today because he was really busy. That's not a problem, I prefer it, in fact. The problem comes when he says "Maybe should do the 'new words' section today". Ok, that's cool. 'Maybe' means it's not set in stone though, right? 

Wrong. 

My first two classes were great. We were up to the new words bit anyway, so that was fine. Then, in the third class, they weren't up to there, so I started doing where we were up to. They were a bit unhappy about doing the reading work, so I was working hard on getting them motivated, and gave them a bit of a talking to. Then, About 20 minutes into the class, Mr Beak walks in. He looks at what were doing and goes "No, I told you, do the new words". I was like, "But, we're not up to the next chapter yet", but he said I had to skip what were were doing (and maybe do it later?) and do the new words today. He didn't even let me finish the exercise we were doing.

I was pissed off because I'd just spent ages getting them to get into the work, he'd come and interrupted my class and undermined me in front of the students, and he is consistently unclear in his instructions, no matter how much I try to clarify. I think my anger is probably mostly unjust, and mostly caused by communication barriers and cultural differences, but that doesn't make my frustration any less.

Ok, I just deleted a whole paragraph of anti-co-teacher rant. I feel like maybe I should take up boxing or something!

I love teaching, but some (most?) days this particular job is a pain in the arse. I miss my happy old NZLC job!

Oh well, tonight is a late teaching night for me (unless it is magically cancelled at the last minute, AGAIN. I'm hopeful that it'll be a good lesson. Also, I'm going out tonight with Courtney and Nyasha for dinner, which is always nice.

Now, to try and inject something positive into the post, today's five:

1) I cleaned my apartment this morning, so now it is nice and clean. Also, I did some laundry before leaving for work, and hang it up to dry, so my apartment should smell like clean clothes when I get home.

2) Because it's a late work night and I'm so angry, I've decided that a good sure is a hot chocolate from Holly's Coffee on the way home :)

3) I went shopping at the market last night and got some yummy strawberries on sale, which I'm going to eat after school.

4) It was so warm this morning that I had to take off my jacket when I walked to the bus.

5) Grass is starting to grow everywhere. Korea no longer looks like a compelete wasteland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment