Friday, March 30, 2012

Korea's Weird Friday


Life here is different :)
I had a fantastic dinner with Courtney, Nyasha, and Courtney's boyfriend, Mike, last night. We had this pork bone and aged kimchi stew that cooks at your table, and it was delicious! Even better, I got to take the leftovers home, so now I have super tasty stew for dinner again :)

Now, on to some differences:
- It's local election time in Osan. Opposite the main Osan bus stop this morning, one of the campaigners had parked a small truck complete with TV, neon signs, and blaring loudspeaker playing messages and music. It was really obnoxious! But funny for the short amount of time I had to stand in front of it.

- One of the other teachers gave all the other teachers (including me) a pretty box full of ddeok before school today. She said it's her babies first birthday. So, instead of people giving her or the baby presents, she gives all he co-workers a present. I told her thank you and congratulations. Sadly, ddeok is very pretty, but has the taste an texture of a huge glob of semi-dry craft glue.

- I had three lessons on the schedule today. My co-teacher says he'll do both 3rd grades alone, which leaves me with my one scheduled, alone, 1st grade class. I mosey on up there and start class. We're 10 minutes into the lesson when Mr Beak shows up and asks if I'd please 'take a break' and leave him to teach alone. What the heck is going on? 

Anyway, I now have absolutely no teaching all day. Might take this opportunity to attempt to get some Skype students. Or just read my book. And plan my next moves after Korea.. And dream about wearing a dress in summer.

So, today's five things:

1) Leftovers for dinner! Yum.

2) Once again, well above freezing all day. Maybe I have seen the end of -0? It's also more humid than it has been. Interesting how used to the cold you get though. The bus stop tells me the temperature this morning was around 2-3 degrees, and it felt warm enough that I could have worn a t-shirt :) The lack of bitingly cold wind keeps taking me by surprise too.

3) I'm going to go chill in the coffee shop after work today.

4) It's Friday! Which means tomorrow is Saturday :) Yay! 

5) Skype date with Jenni tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment