Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wednesday's Five


I finally wrote down a list of things I need my co-teacher to do for me (mainly work towards confirming my summer vacation days so I can plan a holiday). I wrote at the top that I know he's busy, so he can leave it until he has some spare time. He seemed happy enough with it, and said that he thought he could probably have some answers for me by next week. "Gosh," I thought, "he is perhaps competent after all". Ha ha. While I was at his desk, I asked about the two third grade classes we had next. He usually teaches them alone on a Wednesday, and he said that he'd do them alone today too. Then, 15 minutes into the period he comes up to me and says "Sam teacher, you have class". I was like WTF, you *just* said you were doing it. He said the schedule had changed and he'd do it Monday instead. So, I had to rush to class, with no idea where in the book they were up to, and muddle my way through the lesson. What is wrong with this place?!?

Then, he comes up to me and is really confused about the list I gave him, so I explained it, and he was asking if it was to do with the students' writing assignments (again, WTF?). I *think* we now both understand it's about my holidays. I know some of it is the language barrier, but seriously.

And just now, I walked into the staffroom to find a lady teacher hitting a student. It looked playful until as she was hitting him, she accidentally hit his pen and hurt her hand. Then she yelled at him and started pinching his cheeks and pulling his face around. It was short-lived, and he didn't seem disturbed by it, but it was unpleasant.

*Sigh*.

Anyway, today is market day, so I'm going for a walk through after work to pick up some vegetables and some dinner. I'm thinking of bringing some vegetables to eat with my lunch eat day, because my intake is WAY down. Then, later in the evening I'm going bowling with some other Osan folks.

Ok, lets try for five things today:

1) It's above freezing all day again.

2) I finally got up the courage to talk to my co-teacher about organising my summer vacation.

3) Lunch today was chicken drumsticks, which were nice.

4) Despite a totally abysmal 4th period lesson (the one I got told to teach 15 minutes in), my other two classes went really well. I know a lot of resposnibility rests on the teacher for how lessons go, but the students play a HUGE part to. I've done the exact same lessons with two classes and one will be fantastic, join in, participate, and learn, and the other just messes around and does nothing. It's really not me, sometimes it is them.

5) One activity in class today was to write a sentence and reply about the future, using "We will ______ on the weekend/ next month/ whenever in the future", and then a reply. Most group wrote good stuff like 
a: "We will go swimming in summer" 
b: "that sounds like fun" 

a: "We will go to school tomorrow" 
b: "Ok, I'll come too", etc. 

One group cracked me up when the wrote:
a:"We will be adults in the future" 
b:"No I don't want to".

Haha, good job, kids :)

No comments:

Post a Comment