Friday, December 21, 2012

Made it to the USA Thursday

After over 24 hours of travel, I finally made it to the states yesterday evening. I'd been awake all day in Cairo, then up all night to catch my flight at 3am, then flying all day on three different flights to make it to Washington DC. The flight from Abu Dhabi to New York was 14 hours long, and I was really dreading it, but it turned out to not be so bad. The plane was over half empty, so I got three seats to myself. I shared them with an older Indian guy, but was able to lay down to sleep for a couple of long stretches. It really helped the flight go quicker, and I wasn't as exhausted as I could have been.

When I got to JFK airport in New York, I had to go through customs and all that jazz, then recheck in to catch my domestic flight. Made it through customs and immigration just fine, but the security stuff here is intense! I almost go turned away from a security check because my boarding pass only included my first initial and not my full name, but they let me through. Then I had to take off anything I was wearing that was metal and go through an xray machine! Yeah, they actually xray every single passenger. I was getting pretty fed up withthe airport by this time, so I was happy when I made it to my gate and could just wait for my connection. The flight from New York to Baltimore was well under an hour long, and the plane was tiny! The whatever you call an air hostesses it's a man only just had time to give everyone a drink before we were already landing.

At the airport I got my bag, got picked up, and here I am! I spent the day napping, reading, and exploring the area of the city I'm in. I was out walking for a while, and despite getting lost, must have looked like I knew where I was going because two people asked me for directions. Obviously, I couldn't help them. It's quite cold outside, but there isn't any snow. I was walking quite quickly, so stayed fairly warm, though. There wasn't anything really hugely different that I could see about America, other than its heaps more multicultural than NZ, both in terms of the people out on the street and the shops and restaurants. Might go try a restaurant tonight :)

Ok, that is all for today. I've been very tired and sore from all the flying yesterday. Hopefully I can get a good nights sleep tonight and do some proper sight seeing tomorrow.

Oh! And I nearly forgot! Suwon university offered me the job! I have over the weekend to get back to them. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment