Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pyramids on a Sunday

Well, I ended up having a whole room to myself last night, and it looks like I'm getting sleeper compartment to myself too. Old me would think that was great, but new me isn't so sure. You dent have anyone to talk to! But, on the other hand, there's no chance of crazies. Speaking of crazies, everyone in the tour seems nice. There's quite a mix kf younger and older people, but no older married couples. There's a few older ladies, one who's travelling alone and a couple who are traveling with their daughters. There're a few younger couples, and a couple of single traveller guys, making up a group of 16. Much smaller than contiki! We've had good fun today, and have just set of on the sleeper train for Aswan.

Today I woke up, had a pretty good breakfast at the hostel, met up with the whole group, and then went to see some pyramids! We first went to the great pyramid, which is the biggest pyramid in the world. We were actually able to climb on it! Because of the revolution and political unrest in Egypt, not to mention the bad rep Muslims get, tourism here is way down, so many of the sites were rather deserted. Awesome for us! So, we got to climb on the pyramid and take lots of photos. Then we went to a slightly smaller one and were able to climb down a very small tunnel into the heart of the pyramid. That was cool! Then we went to a plateau in the Sahara where we're could see all 3 pyramids in the Giza area, took lots of photos, plus a group pic. Then I rode a camel! It was amazing. Camels are actually very tall animals, who walk in a very jerky way. I'm glad I only had to ride it for 15 minutes, I'd be pretty sore otherwise! As it is, my camel decided it really like another camel and walked so close to it my foot got a bit squashed. Now I have a bruised ankle on the same leg as my sore knee :)

Then we went to a place and saw them make traditional papyrus. They had some amazing paintings on sale, painted on the papyrus, so I bought a couple. I'm not buying many souvenirs this trip, but what I am buying I think is really quality stuff that the places I'm going are famous for. My painting in Rome, my ring in Florence, my glass necklace in Venice, and now papyrus in Cairo. Very cool!

After that we drove 45 minutes to the step pyramid, which is the oldest pyramid in the world. It's nearly 5000 years old! In that area there was also and amazing tomb that still had really well preserved wall art carved in the stone walls. In some areas there was even some colour preserved, and the hieroglyphs were fascinating. That may have been my favourite thing in the whole day. Sometimes the huge magnificent things are almost too overwhelming, and it's the smaller details that make a more lasting impression. The pyramids were simply amazing, though.

It was about 3.30 by then, and we got taken to a restaurant for a Kate lunch. We had mixed grilled meats, Egyptian style, fresh Egyptian bread, babaghanoush, and fresh mango juice. It was all nice, but the mango juice was so so so good!

Then, it was back to the hotel to freshen up before riding to the train station, boarding the trains, and here I am. We got a train dinner, which was like the meals you get on an aeroplane. My little room on the train has a door and a little sink, and towels, and everything! For someone who's only experience of sleeper trains is China, this is luxury! I'm quite easily impressed, it seems :)

So, today has been a lovely day. I'm hoping to get an internet connection tomorrow morning at out next hotel. If not, I'll have to go and find a coffee shop with free WiFi in the afternoon.

That's all in terms of activities. Some of the group is going to hang out in the club adjust now, but it's nearly 11pm, so I'm going to try and sleep.

In terms of deep and meaningful thoughts, not much! I've been finally too busy to overanalyse :) it is getting a bit tricky to answer all those questions people ask when you just meet them, though. Where are you from is easy, but where do you live is hard. I don't live anywhere right now. What do you do is easy, where do you work, the answer is nowhere, which weird people out. Where are you going next is easy, how long, what will you do there and why is not! Um, dunno how long, no plans of what to do, and well, I meet this guy a week ago... so I have no home, no job, and am travelling to a country with no plan and no set duration to see a guy I met in Italy. It makes perfect sense to me, but I think it sounds kind of odd to others.

Ok, bed time!

No comments:

Post a Comment