Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Made it to Egypt Tuesday

The flight from Rome to Cairo is really short! Not even two hours, but it still takes all day to travel. I caught the bus to the Rome airport this morning, did all the checking in business, sat on the plane for three hours, got off, got money, got a visa, got out into Cairo, found my driver and made it to my hostel. Phew!

I arrived after dark, sonic glad I had a driver, but I had a good look out the windows as we drove in, and the area of town I'm in is very well lit and lots of people around, so I think I'd be all right out there at night. I'm in the downtown area of Cairo, and there are a lot, a lot, a lot of shops! All selling like a million versions of the same thing. Like the shoe shop has so many shoes there's no room for customers.

My hostel is pretty run down, but I can deal with it. I'm glad I have earplugs. Honking car horns seems to be a national sport. I've got a room with three beds in it... I'm assuming that since I booked, a private room that I'll be the only one in here. And, as an extra bonus, because I'm staying for 4 night, my airport pickup was free!

I've organised a private tour to Alexandria with a guide on Thursday, for only $100, which seems very reasonable. It's an all day thing, so should keep me busy. I'm pretty scared of Egypt, so I'll have to explore gently tomorrow. The museum seems like good idea?

I'm so tired tonight! I then I'm getting the cold everyone had on contiki. I blame you, Frank.
So, Sam's top five things about travel days:

1) Not having to plan to entertain yourself, all you have to do is go where they tell you.

2) the excitement of going somewhere new.

3) the feelings of 'moving forward' that come with this kind of travel.

4) spending the last dregs of your currency on candy.

5) finally getting where you're going and being able to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment