Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Slightly melancholy Monday

Just a quiet day today. I've been feeling a bit lonely and sorry for myself after yesterday's impressive display of upbeat enthusiasm. I went for a big last walk around Rome, which is just as beautiful as when I arrived, only now it's filled with memories too, making it really special. I took one last walk around where I ate my first gelato, where I laughed with Ange and Vicki, and where Frank and I made wishes on coins in the fountain. Pretty awesome :) I miss my friends!

Sometime it seems to me like 2012 has been a year of goodbyes. You'd think that would have been 2011 when I left for Korea, but I have had to say goodbye to so many amazing people this year. Courtney, Amy, Laura, Brook, Andy, Ange, Vicki, Frank, Mum, Dad, Matt, Jessie (dogs totally count), and Jen. Some of them are gone from my life almost entirely, but others have stayed, and I love you for that!

But anyway, enough on that. I'm off to Egypt tomorrow, which is cause for celebration! I've just been doing a bit of research online, and I've got a few activities in mind to keep me busy for my 3 alone days. I'm foreseeing a trip to McDonald's in my near future though... I'm not sure why, but I want a hamburger. I NEVER eat it at home, but when travelling it can be a weird comfort :) Other than that, I'm gonna get me some goat meat, and all kinds of Egyptian food! I want to do a day trip to Alexandria, which is apparently beautiful, go to the Egyptian Museum, and visit the Kahn el Kahlili markets. And I need to take more photos! I'm not taking enough. I came across a tour you can do in Cairo that's a photography day trip and they take you places and teach you how to take better pictures. It was pretty expensive for what it was, though, so I might not do it. Depending on how things go in the next little while, I might need all the money I can save.

Speaking of that, I heard from Frank and he is genuinely interested in going to Thailand with me, which is simply awesome. Have to wait and see if he can get the time off work and start planning from there. I'm trying (mostly in vain) not to worry about it. How on earth is it that you can be more concerned with a crush on a guy than the fact that you're about to go to Egypt, see pyramids, and ride in a freaking hot air balloon? My brain confuses me sometimes!

And you guys remember negative Nathan? Well, I got back in touch with him a while ago because I thought I was going back to Korea and still wanted to be friends. Well, I don't think I want to be his friend at all. He really is just too negative, and he actively hates all things Asian, specifically Korean. So, what's the best way to dump a friend? Tell him, or just taper off the communication? Yeah, I know. If it was me I'd want to be told. So, That's two guys I have to tell that I don't want to really know them anymore. Ugh, year of goodbyes!

Ok, I'm off for my last meal in Italy. I'm going to the airport in the morning to fly to Egypt just after midday. Actually, on closer analysis, I am really very excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment