Monday, December 17, 2012

It's all over Sunday

The tour of Egypt finished last night and everyone left this morning. As usual, I was the only one not flying out directly after the end of the tour. The beauty of not having a job to go to, I guess. We had a farewell dinner last night, which was nice, and then hung out at the hotel bar until late. The trip was fantastic, but there's no one I'll really miss like on my contiki. 

Yesterday was a busy day, though. We were on the sleeper train in the morning and then went straight from there to the Egypt museum because if we went around lunch time like originally planned the protests might have interrupted our visit. The museum itself was intense. Without a guide you wouldn't know what just about anything was. Its simply packed full of artifacts and not even 10% of them have any information alongside. Our guide, Momo, came with us and talked us through the highlights of the museum. I enjoyed it, and so many of the artifacts are truly minblowing. However, museums are such dead places. Especially the Egyptian one, as most of the artifacts have to do with death, burial, and religion. I feel like I've been on a big tour of death related sites. I prefer living culture, although the old old stuff here in Egypt is amazing. I would have liked this tour, and my last one in Italy, to know more about who lives in the country now and how they live and whatnot. I'm hoping my time in America will change this pace a bit.

Speaking of the US, touch wood, everything is set for me to arrive there late on Wednesday. I've got flights, a visa, and Frank is coming to get me from the airport. I don't have any concrete plans of what to do once I'm there, I'll just see what I feel like.

Ok, that is all for today. Here's my top five things about Egypt:

1) the weather! I love sunshine, and that's pretty much what you get 24/7 here.

2) the food. While I haven't eaten anything truly amazing, it's all been very nice and I've tried a few different things.

3) sailing down the Nile in a felucca. It was a lot of fun and a really good experience.

4) riding in a hot air balloon! I didn't expect it to feel so safe.

5) getting to actually climb and sit on the great pyramid. I didn't think we'd even be allowed to touch them, but we had a lot of freedom to clamber all over. It was really special.

No comments:

Post a Comment