Friday, December 7, 2012

Hiding in my room Friday

I've been inside most of the day today, but it got to lunchtime, and I needed, well, lunch. I figured if I walked to a bakery I'd seen in the opposite direction from the protests, it'd be fine. I had a little wander around, then went to the bakery. It was really flash, but all the prices were in Arabic. Still, I picked out a couple of nice looking things mad bought them. I got what I guess is an Egyptian version of pizza bread with different spices and stuff on it. It's really nice! And then what seems to be deepfried doughnut, soaked in syrup and filled with cream and pistachios. So sweet, but nice too. And it all cost me under a dollar!

But anyway, then I went to leave the bakery, and there was a protest march going on right past the door. No one seemed worried like last time, it was just a big bunch of people walking sown the road chanting, clapping, and waving flags. Still, I didn't really want to be anywhere near it, so I justvwaited for it to be gone and turned down another street and made my way back home. Reports predict increasing numbers of marches and probably escalating violence as the afternoon continues, so imma just stay here in my hostel. Tomorrow's hotel is ages away from here, out in its own grounds and stuff, so I'll be pleased to get out there. Though, I feel safe enough here, just not outside :)

In other news, Matt booked my US tickets! I'll be there in the evening of the 19th of December!

Sam's five things about staying inside and not getting injured in political riots:

1) it gives you heaps of time to email all your friends and family and facebook stalk everyone you know. And everyone they know.

2) I'm really really clean now. Showering becomes fun.

3) the air in my room doesn't smell like cigarette smoke or car fumes and it's nice and cool.

4) maybe my knee will finally get its act together.

5) I'm going to REALLY appreciate this tour! Even if it sucks and the people on it are horrible, at least I'll be doing something and not alone. Though, the people must be pretty ok sorts to be travelling to Egypt just now.

No comments:

Post a Comment