Thursday, November 3, 2011

Two Months Thursday


Ok, today’s lessons have really taken the awful teaching cake. There were two third grade classes back to back. I found out once I got to class that it was my job to introduce the subject of the next unit – the environment and recycling. That was ok, we talked about the picture in the book and then Mr Beak asked me to read some sentences and we did the whole super boring me read, they repeat thing. The Mr Beak just took over and at first was explaining the sentences to them, but then started speaking only Korean and talked at them for the rest of the lesson – about half an hour. At first I stood there ready to go again, but then I realized he wasn’t going to get back to the lesson, so I sat down. The next period rolled around and I got everything ready to go again, but apparently he was on a roll and this time he just launched straight into talking at them, not a word on English at all, and he talked for 40 mins. Literally, with five minutes to go, he handed over to me to do the introduction bit. I started and I was right in the middle of asking them some questions and getting their answers about the environment, when Mr Beak started violently jumping around the room trying to hit a big flying beetle with a roll of paper. Obviously, my teaching was totally interrupted and he managed to hit the big bug into a student, so their concentration was shot. Then the lesson ended. Far out, I have never seen anything like this!
 
I don’t want to say anything, though. He’s my only access to information in the school, and the only one who can get me things I need or help me with things like bank accounts, doctors’ visits and so on. He’s really not someone I want to piss off, and from what I’ve read, questioning his action, or asking him to change could be seen as quite insulting in Korean culture, because I am younger, much less experienced, and a girl. I think I’m supposed to just respect him and trust that he knows and is doing the best thing. I will try to do this, and swallow my pride. I feel so disrespected in class, though. However, I am sure this isn’t intentional on his part, he (as are we all) is a product of his culture. That doesn’t stop it from annoying me, or disheartening me. What’s more, my after school classes have been cancelled for the rest of the week, so I don’t even have any real teaching to look forward to. Instead I spend my time planning my escape, thinking about Turkey, and dreaming up names for my future guinea pigs.
 
I’m currently thinking that I’d like to get two females, so they can be friends. I’d like one honey coloured and white one and one tri-coloured one. Names like Aidia, Ella, Bella (seems I like names ending in ‘a’?), or funny noun names, like ‘popcorn’ or ‘bean’. Yes, my day is THAT slow.
 
Ooooh, lunch time is very close!

 
Ok, lunch was nice. Now four more hours till home time!

*          *           *

Right, the day is over! I realised on the way home that today is my two months away from NZ anniversary! As a special treat I went crazy with $5 at Dunking Doughnuts :) Yummy!!! I'm saving these for after dinner, and then I'm going to eat them all. You only live once!



3 comments:

  1. yeah.. I'm sad to hear that. You know, I also was tought the same way when I was in high school. Korean English education is awful. That's why Korean people can't speak English at all! Eventhough they were tought for over 10years! I don't understand why they teach in Korean during English class.However, I hope you will be happy in my country :) Could I be your student again?! If so, not only would I am happy, but also you would enjoy class with me :)maybe hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. And he is terrible HE shouldn't have done that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks Haryong, you're a sweety :)

    ReplyDelete