Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Teacher's sports Wednesday

So, I went to school today thinking it was just a normal Wednesday... I was wrong! The whole school class schedule had been moved forward by an hour (so school had actually started at 8 am-ish), all the periods were cut short by 5 minutes and sixth period had been dropped altogether. Why? Well, so the teachers of the area could get together and have a 'teacher's P.E. festival'. Mr Beak had mentioned something very vaguely about this 'maybe' happening a couple of weeks ago, but I wasn't prepared! I, luckily, was wearing my sports shoes, but otherwise, was pretty badly dressed to play sports. Luckily, as the photos show, this 'P.E. festival' was actually just a big BBQ picnic, where some of the teachers played a bit of sports :)

We went to an elementary school about 10 minutes drive from Namsa.





This BBQ is made of half a barrel. Awesome!

There were ladies making fresh Korean savoury pancakes. They were delicious!

There was so much food!


Unlike in NZ where the only thing you get at free BBQs is crappy sausages, we had pork belly.

The things at the front are chewy, flavourless rice 'cakes' .


Volleyball.

This is just the rural area my school is in.



The food was yummy, and people were friendly in a vague kind of way. Me not knowing Korean and no one speaking English makes anything beyond very basic conversation pretty difficult. I had fun, though I had no idea what was going on most of the time, so didn't actually get to play on any team at all. Neither did Mr Beak, though. Whenever I asked him what was happening, he said he didn't know. Maybe it's as confusing for everyone else as well?

I'm glad I got to go though. The boredom at school was really getting to me today. I think I might actually have to ask if there's some work I can do. If I'm going to save up to go to Egypt and Turkey, I guess I'll be staying long enough to teach a winter English camp (though apparently the school didn't have one last year). Maybe I can plan that.

Anyway, one of the sweet girls in my after school class yesterday gave me a present she had made! It was a little box with some sweets inside for Halloween :)







I am so full from this afternoon's picnic, I don't need dinner :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment