Monday, December 5, 2011

Weekend bumper post Monday


Wow, what a busy weekend! I'll start at the beginning and work my way through.
 
Friday night - Big Chill Bar, Suwon. Courtney took me to a foreigner bar, where we hang out, met up with her boyfriend and his friend, and some of her workmates. Her boyfriend and his friend, Clovis, are from Camaroon, which is a place I'm not even sure I knew existed before I met them, but now I do. I also know about its economy, sports, and political situation, because the two guys were very keen to talk about it. Which was super boring, but nice enough. They seemed like normal guys, but as usual, the drunker they got, the more boring they became. Sober, I'm sure they are interesting enough people, but with a bit of booze, not so much. So, I escaped from over half an hour of 'ummhmm-ing' over political stuff I had no interest or knowledge in, I went and hung out with Courtney at the bar. I suppose I could have tried to change the subject, but I kind of drew a blank. So, anyway, at the bar, Courtney had to go to the bathroom, leaving the seat next to me free to be occupied by a pretty drunk older guy, who spent about 10-15 minutes telling me how wonderful I am, only to assure me that he was not hitting on me - he's gay. What's more, I'm the first person he's ever told that he's gay, and can I please not tell anyone. *Sigh* why do I attract these unusual people? I decided it was about time to go home then J Got a taxi back to Osan with Courtney, and got to bed about 3am.
 
I only realized after the fact that I had not actually spent much time talking to Courtney after her boyfriend arrived. Before that we were hanging out and chatting, but after he came, she went an hung out elsewhere a lot of the time, leaving me with him and his friend. It might be nothing, but it seems a bit strange? Well, I hope it's nothing I did.
 
So, the next day is Saturday, and the KOTESOL conference at Suwon uni. They had organized a free bus to pick us up from a station only 10 mins from Osan, so that was great. The minute I get on the bus, and am asked where I'm from, another lady from NZ attached herself to me. And she was crazy! She kept talking about stuff that related to herself, but was totally irrelevant to the current conversation, or would mention people or events in her life as if you knew exactly who or what she was talking about. I'm not sure if it was because she wanted you to ask about them, of if she was actually just a socially retarded crack-pot. Anyway, she told and re-told the same set of stories about her 'socially disadvantage boys one of whom once pulled a knife on her' multiple times throughout the day whenever she could. By the end of the day I wanted to stab her eyes out with my pen. Another guy, who was ridiculously serious, had to ask me my name and where I was from no less than three times because he obviously kept forgetting he'd spoken to me. I started to wonder if there was actually something wrong with him, but then I found out he works at a university here, and was actually one of the speakers at the conference! The other peeps at the conference (or which there were not many, maybe 30?) had no sense of humor and seemed to delight in nitpicking every detail. I almost left before the conference even started they were all so awful! I am glad I didn't though, because the presentations were actually great. I got some good new ideas for everything from classroom management, to new vocab games, to new ways to integrate technology into the classroom. I was knackered by the end of the day, but apart from the people at the conference, it was great J I got home about 8pm, and just read my book before bed.
 
Sunday I woke up and talked to mum on Skype for about an hour, then left to catch the train two hours to the other side of Seoul to watch the ice-hockey. Some of the group from last time was there, as well as a bunch of people I hadn't met before. The hockey itself was great. I had a fun time joining in the Korean cheering and drinking $1 hot chocolate from the convenience store. The ice rink and sports complex were really lash and modern, and I had a very good time! Laura, who I met at the last hockey game, and who I went to the zoo with last weekend, brought a friend along with her. I thought that was going to be really good, because maybe I could make a new friend too, but it didn't really work out like that. I hardly got to speak to Laura at all, and she hardly spoke to me. It was like she was only interested in being my friend if there was no one else available. This sudden coolness wasn't really a surprise. I've come to realise the people who give their friendship very quickly, are often just as quick to retract it. Either, they just have different social patterns to me, or they value things differently. I'm kind of a slow and steady person. I'm happy to meet you and hang out and let the friendship grow as we actually get to know one another, or not if we don't get along, rather than declare friendship quickly and then realize that person isn't for me and drop it suddenly.
 
So, that was a bit disappointing, but as I say, not that surprising. There was a really nice Turkish girl at the meet-up, but in the confusion of leaving, I didn't get her contact details. Hopefully she'll be at another meet-up, because she seemed very sweet and nice. Anyway, after the hockey we lost a few people as they went home, and gained a few along the way. We ended up as a group of Americans and me, and went to a Lebanese restaurant in Itaewon. Itaewon is a kind of famous area in Seoul for expats. There's a lot more multi-cultural stuff there, and American bits and bobs. I'd never been before (no real reason to go), and I probably won't bother again. There were way more foreigners than I've seen in one place in Korea, and I totally didn't like it! I'm not sure why, but I just didn't. Perhaps large concentrations of cocky young Americans just don't do it for me.
 
So, anyway, food-wise dinner was very nice. I has a chicken curry type thing, and it was super tasty and yummy. However, seated across from me was the most cocky, stuck-up, asshole I have ever met. He thought he knew everything, and tried to make everyone else feel stupid. I just out my head down, got through it, and split for home after dinner. I took a different train from the rest of the group, even though we were all headed in the same direction. By this point in the weekend, I was all peopled out. I'm actually very glad I went a different way because it meant I ended up getting on the line 1 train fairly early in its run, so I got to sit for the whole hour and a bit home (I have had to stand the whole way before!). I sat on the heated seat and read my book and actually enjoyed the trip a lot. I was pretty pleased to get back to Osan.
 
But I have had my fill of people for a day or two! Phew, what a bad run. Not without its highlights, and over-all I had a great weekend, but I am very glad I have my own nice apartment to come home to.
 
Now for a week of work where I have no classes. 

*     *      *

Monday has been pretty normal. I helped my co-teacher record some listening stuff for the tests the kids have later in the week. He's also let me come in to work 10 mins earlier and leave 10 mins earlier, so I can catch the bus that comes at 4.30, so that's cool! It means that all this week I'll be home at about 5pm instead of 6 :)

And, wonder of wonders, I have found out that red bean paste is not universally heinous. Another student gave me a hot fish pastry after school, only this time it was a bean paste one... so I took my life into my own hands and tried it. It was actually ok. I like the custard better, but it was just fine with bean paste too. That was about the high point of my day :) And the nice lady in the supermarket who helped me tell the shampoo from the conditioner without me asking her. Now I'm off to make some nachos!

Oh, but wait, I almost forgot! At the crosswalk by E-mart I saw a small dog whose cheeks had been dies pink, who was wearing a stripy jacket and little red shoes. I tried to get a picture, but the light changed and it was gone. Next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment