Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday's 5



Back to work today, so I had to work a little harder to find my five :)

1) My morning class did a scavenger hunt. During this hunt, the four teachers involved went to muffin break and made awkward 'the only thing we have in common is work' conversation. The nice thing was the lovely mint hot chocolate I had, which was made all the more enjoyable by the fact that is was POURING with rain. All my students got soaked, but I think they had fun.

2) Number two also comes from my morning class. They were a tour group, and today was their last day, so we had a (very) mini-graduation ceremony for them. Us teachers had to get up, say a few words, and give the certificates. It was pretty neat, and they seemed really happy, which made me happy.


3) The crocodile lesson went off without a hitch! The students wrote some very neat crocodile poems. One of my students described a crocodile's teeth as 'sexual'. I'm not too sure what he was trying to say, but it cracked me up (on the inside!). I just told him that was an adjective we don't normally use for teeth!! However, they were kind of wondering what the heck we were talking about crocodiles for, and how it could help them. I explained that it is really helpful for them to learn to speak English using a huge variety of topics, because at their level they should be learning more than just the boring everyday applications. They need these too, obviously, but the more they talk about, the wider their skill-set will be. They seemed to understand, and even really appreciate this.

4) Randomly, I love pine cones and think that trees without their leaves are really beautiful. Just the shapes of branches, the colour of the bark, the kind of lonely melancholy, but air of hope(lessness) they have, makes them very beautiful to me. That's my poetic moment for the day. Blame the crocodile poems.

5) I only have afternoon work for the rest of the week! And nothing on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment