Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Medical Check Wednesday

Today I finally bucked up and got the courage to get my medical check done and go to the bank. Despite that bank's website specifically stating that they'll open foreigner accounts using just you passport, the lady who helped me said it was wrong. So, no bank account for me until I get my Korean ID card in a few weeks.

So, that didn't go so well. What did go surprisingly well was my medical check. It was such an ordeal last time, taking hours, dental checks, and swabs of unmentionable places. I also though I had to go to a hospital all the way in Suwon. Then I asked if I could just do it at the local hospital where I went last time. Uni said sure, so I gathered my courage for what I was convinced was going to be hours and hours of embarrassing confusion and unintelligible Korean.

Well, all up it took half an hour. I just asked for a medical check and the lady at the front desk directed me downstairs. The lady at the desk downstairs spoke great English and accompanied me the whole way. All I had to do was a chest x-ray, hight + weight, vision, pee, and blood. Oh, and some doctor who spoke less English than the receptionist "interviewed" me:
"Medication?"
"No"
"Medical problem?"
"No"
"Healthy?"
"Yes"
And he signed my forms and showed me out. It was so easy. So now I just have to wait a few days for the results, then they'll text me and I can go and pick them up. Then it's off to immigration for my ID card.

That's pretty much my adventures for today (so far). It was about 20 minutes walk to the hospital, and I realised on the walk home that I was kind of not looking forward to getting back to the apartment. It has bad vibes for me, I think. It's pretty shabby, a bit run down, and too small. Not that I really need to rationalise the feelings. I've realised over the years that I can be pretty sensitive about stuff, and if I feel bad about a place then staying there will eventually make me miserable. So, I'm definitely not staying in this apartment. I've just got to give myself a little time to figure out what I do want to do.

My first day of work is tomorrow! We've been asked to "dress up" so they can take out photos for the uni website. Man, it's nice to get some advanced warning about these things!!

And now, those photos I promised! I was going to make a post over on my new food blog about the soup, but I didn't feel like it was worth it. I want to start off with something awesome that I have something to say about, and this soup was nice, but pretty meh.

Banchan (side dishes)

Dwen-jeon jiggae (fermented soy-bean soup) and rice. All up, this meal is $5 per person.

The view from the 6th floor corridor. 


The corridor. It's got baaaad vibes, man.



No comments:

Post a Comment