Monday, March 4, 2013

Looong weekend Monday




Today is my last day of freedom before I start work. I've spent most of the day trying my best to plan a couple of syllabuses and not screw them up too badly. I keep reminding myself that I've never done this before, so I need to cut myself some slack. It's not going to be perfect, no matter how hard I work. Although I had a great orientation on Thursday, one day can't really give you all the info you need, or let you know what's really expected in a new work place, so the next couple of weeks are going to be a big learning time for me! I'm very nervous about it. I've got a couple of fall back lessons planned, though, in case something unexpected comes up - things I've taught before, so I'm familiar with that at least.

This weekend has been a long one. Friday was a public holiday, so Andy was home from work. We went into Seoul for the day and went to Costco, the huge Lotte department store, and a coffee shop that he kind of wants his building to look like. For dinner we went to a 'juk' restaurant - which is Korean rice porridge. I liked it, but it was extremely bland. I think I liked it mostly because of how warm it was and it's been so cold here. But, the weather forecast is predicting 20C by next weekend! It's not even 10C today, so that's a big jump. I'm hoping it happens!!

Beef and mushroom juk at 'Bon Juk'


On Saturday I did a bunch of work in the morning, and Andy went out to work on his building. In the afternoon I went for a huge walk and bought some much needed stationary. Not very exciting, but fun all the same :) Andy was pretty late home, considering he'd asked me to wait to have lunch with him and he wasn't home until about 2pm, so he took me to a traditional Korean restaurant for a late lunch. Sadly, the food wasn't that great, but it was a good experience.

Me (looking a bit tired) and a bunch of Korean food
Then, on Sunday I was supposed to be meeting up with Nathan in Seoul, but he missed his flight back to Korea from Thailand and only got in late Saturday so our planes got a bit messed up. So we rescheduled for next weekend, and instead Andy and I went to the hot pools! They're about an hour away by car, and were so much fun! It was freezing outside, but there were indoor pools, water slides, massage pools, a wave pool, and I got my feet eaten by little fish. There was also a segregated sauna area where you just soak all naked, which I did for a little bit too - my first naked bathhouse time alone! I was fine with it - even when I was standing naked drying my hair (they supply hair dryers, and everyone is naked - it's be weird not to be), and this little girls is pointing to me and saying the word for 'English' over and over. I was like 'yeah, there's only one thing better than being stared at fully clothed on the street, and that's being stared at naked' :D Haha, I didn't mind really, I just smiled at her.

(Not my photo) Spavis in Asan - the outdoor area

And then today I've been making a big list of films that are adapted from books to use in my film and literature class. I wanted to use 'The Shining', but the film is actually longer than the three hour time slot we have for class (!!) so that was out :) I think I've got a good first list now.

And that is all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment