Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Disturbed by advertising Wednesday



For the first time in ... a very, very long time, I watched regular tv last night, for about an hour. The show itself (America's Next Top Model) was pretty bad, but what really got to me were the ad breaks. I haven't seen regular advertising for so long now, and I don't read newspapers or magazines, so I don't get it there (plus all the street advertising in Korea is in Hangul that I either don't understand or don't bother to read), so all the ads kind of hit me anew. And boy, was it scary.

All they did was tell me all the stuff I need, implying the whole time that if I didn't have that toothpaste, that toilet anti-bacterial disk, or that brand of frozen vegetables then I was going to get sick, be unhappy, or somehow not normal. Seriously, the toothpaste ad tried to tell  me that if I get some blood on my dental floss, I've probably got gum disease, so should use their toothpaste. Another ad instructed me to "protect my family from toilet germs" - which just makes me imagine this army of bugs swarming out of the loo to rape and pillage my home. 

I've been simplifying my life, and have lived without all this crap for so long, that to see it again made me mad. No wonder people are confused, can't save any money, and think that 'low fat' products guarantee them good health, when they fill their heads with this stuff. Even if, like me, you don't believe it, seeing it regularly as got to plant ideas in there about how, really, you've had your cellphone for 6 months now - probably time to get a new one. So, I will not be watching any more TV! Ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment