Friday, February 15, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day Thursday

I had quite a good valentine's day, despite being alone. Not just 'single' alone, but fully alone alone. As in, the only words I spoke were to my dog or myself. But, to celebrate - because I like to celebrate everything, I'm going to be dead one day so I should make the most of it - I created my own valentine's day paleo lunch! Seriously, I made up a new recipe!

I made spiced sweet potato pancakes with peach-berry sauce! There're a ton of 'paleo' pancake recipes out there that use all kinds of different flours as long as they're gluten free, but I don't really like using them much. Not only are the difficult for me to get, but I think there's a serious risk of them becoming a habit and then before you know it, you're back eating a high-carb, high-processed food diet, just gluten-free. Which is not so cool. So, while my 'pancakes' are not anything like a regular pancake, they weren't exactly fritters, either. But, they are 100% paleo, no grey area at all! However, it's fairly high-card, so a 'sometimes' food. I shall call them... fritakes!



Ingredients (for 1 person, because *sniff* I'm all alone!):
1 smallish carrot (about 75g)
1 medium sweet potato (about 95g)
1t each of cinnamon, ginger, allspice (or use 3t of pumpkin pie spice)
1egg
1T coconut oil
--------------
Sauce:
1/4 cup mixed frozen berried
1/2 peach
2t honey (if necessary)

Nut to top, if desired.
-------------
Instructions:
Chop up carrot and sweet potato and boil until tender.
- Drain well. Add the spices and stir in to moisten.
- Using a stab blender (or potato masher if you're old-school) blend/mash until smooth. 
- Stir in egg.
- Heat frying pan with the coconut oil. Fry small batched of mixture until crispy on both sides.

- To make the sauce, just heat all the ingredients in a small saucepan gently until they release some of their juice. Pout over finished fritakes. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.

Rough nutritional breakdown? Sure!
Calories: 460
Carbs: 65g
Fat: 20g
Fiber: 10g

Enjoy :)






No comments:

Post a Comment