Friday, November 16, 2012

The formatting is messed up and I don't know what day it is!

So, here I am at Auckland airport. The buggers don't even have free WiFi for passengers. It'll cost me over $9 for 45 minutes of internet! Criminal. Anyway, I remember the last time I was in the international departures area of Auckland airport and I was so, so miserable.this time around I barely wipe the smile off my face! I'm going to Italy, Egypt, and back to Andy in Korea!! Awesome!
 I Just bought Andy a NZ sheep fridge magnet. He requested something with a sheep, and it was the cutest and least lame thing. It's wooden, and actually pretty cool.   
Mum and dad took me for lunch before dropping me off at the airport. We went to a nice cafe in Ponsonby. The guy who works there was just finishing his CELTA, so we had a talk about that...and then it turns out he's been to Rome and said that the pizza there really is as amazing as you'd think! Confirmation of pizza awesomeness!   Leaving mum and dad was a bit sad, but not too bad. It's majority helped by the fact that they have promised to come and visit me in the next few months. I really hope they do. Going one year without seeing them was a bit extreme. When I'm with them though, it never really felt like I'd been gone.   So yes, I am here at the airport. For some reason security wanted to almost unpack my entire backpack, but I was just really nice and helpful. Nothing was wrong, in the end, and I got through security and stuff very quickly. Also, the nice lady at the check-in desk got me an isle seat for the long leg of my journey. Score! I can pee as much as I want! Haha, small things, right?   Oh! And other exciting news! My car got sold yesterday, for a really good price. It's given me a bit of extra money to play around with. Not that I didn't have enough before, but extra doesn't hurt :)   Ok, and because I'm at the airport, here's Sam's five things, airport edition: 1) Browsing the perfume stores and smelling all the pretty ones.   2) Watching all the people and how they travel.   3) Knowing I'm embarking on an adventure and being proud of myself for doing it.   4) Anticipation.   5) Plenty of chill out and reflect time. I'm a very slow airport traveller :)   The flight is going very well. We are nearly in Melbourne. Emirates has been a pretty great airline so far. Their selection of tv and movies is really large, and the food was  nice! I had grilled salmon, with sauteed spinach, a prawn salad, and a very nice piece of orange chocolate cake. Even better, there has been no one sitting next to me for the 4 hour flight to Australia, so I was able to put the arm rests up and lay down to sleep for a couple of hours. My eyes are super bloodshot now,  utilise at least I got a little rest. The next 24 hours are going to be pretty long, I think.   Also, I forgot to mention that we saw an eclipse today. I can't remember which insular and which lunar, but this was the one where the moon goes in front of the sun. We didn't know what it was, the light just went all dim and funny. Then, we saw on the news a little  it later that there had been an eclipse and we'd seen it without even knowing :) Kind of cool.   *        *      *   Ok, so I am now 8 hours through my 13 hour flight, and I'm very keen for it to end! I have managed to get some sleep, maybe 5 hours on and off, which for me on a plane is pretty good. For some reason, this flight is totally falloff little kids and babies. They're being quite well behaved, but they still scream Andy from time to time. Just put an eye mask on, some earplugs, and me neck pillow, and it's all ok.still, really looking forward to getting off this plane :)   *       *       *   Right, so I've made it to Dubai! I've freshener up in the bathroom and I'm not feeling like total crap. Just half a crap. I enjoy going new places, but mad do I hate long air travel! I'm all swollen, bloodshot, dried out, too hot, too cold, and just downright uncomfortable. But, not too far to go now. Only about another 8 hours, three of which are in the airport. I'm likel5 going to be pretty grumpy by the time I get to Rome, though. A short nap might be a good idea, then a walk around to see what's out there. I really hope the free WiFi at my hostel is working. All the airports want you to pay to use it, and it's not even free on the plane! I pay all that money and I don't even get free WiFi. They were charging 1USD to send a single email! So, needless to say, I haven't sent any emails.   What else? Emirates co tines to be a pretty good airline. The food is edible, and it's no more uncomfortable than any other flight. The worships behind me now, though. All the rest of my flights are much shorter than that 13 hour beast. Ergh! Almost enough to put me off travel. Hopefully tenet time I get the chance to go somewhere Andy will be able to come too. It's so much more bearable when you've got someone else to complain to :)   Dubai airport seems huge, but all the signs are written quite small, so I have  to get right uptown them before I can read them. The depature gates and bathrooms are also pretty uninspiring and functional, but I guess they've Justin so many.   Ok, that's all from me for now. I'm just going to hang around the departures lounge for a few hours and then it's off to Rome!   *      *      *   I made it to Rome, and to my hostel. Seems warm and clean, it's 7pm and I'm going to try to read for a couple of hours, and then I'm off to bed:)

No comments:

Post a Comment