Friday, October 14, 2011

Feel like crap Friday


Ok, so here I am blogging at school again. Perhaps this ‘sit at your desk and do nothing’ is a technique to make me want to teach. Because it totally is. I was working on a lesson plan this morning and I found myself very keen to actually implement it. Next week I start teaching. If that’s what you can call it when the co-teacher translates much of what you say into Korean. I mean, what does that teach the kids? That they don’t have to listen or understand the English, because they are going to get the Korean version straight after. Oh well J.
             I had a bit of a rough night last night, and woke up feeling pretty down and out. I really need to get to work on my apartment and snazz it up a bit! I think I might go and check out Lottemart this evening. It’s a big supermarket/ it’s like the warehouse only three storied high, and they sell everything. I did my grocery shopping yesterday at E-mart, which is apparently very similar. Also, I think I saw mention that there is a Basking Robins in the food court of E-mart! I don’t think I’ve mentioned that it is my goal of my time in Korea to slowly try every B.R. ice cream flavor. I was getting a little worried as I hadn’t seen one in Osan. I was thinking that I’d have to trek to Seoul to get my fix. But now, there is hope J.
             Well, I have finished my presentation about NZ and myself. I kind of like it. Hopefully it goes down well. I just had a really nice lunch time, too. The lunch itself was, again, pretty tasty. There was crispy seaweed, a shredded chicken (I think) vegetable thing, sweet and sour chicken, rice, and soup. The soup differs from day to day, but so far it has all tasted the same to me. Kind of watery fishy. It’s not horrible, but I don’t eat much of it. Anyway, after I finished eating I went outside, as per my resolution, even though it was raining. I stood just the entrance way roof. I was only there for a couple of minutes and a couple of second grade girls came to talk to me. They were really nice! Their English was really low, but they managed to tell me about their sports teacher, the smelly boys in their class, what they like to do on the weekend, and about their favourite K-pop and western pop singers. I’m sure the novelty of a new English teacher will wear off and then no one will bother to talk to me, but for now it is very nice.
             So, I am pretty super home-sick. Everyone keeps assuring me that it will get better, and I’m even fairly sure of that myself, but that doesn’t make it feel any better right now! There’s a trip I want to go on next weekend, but you need a Korean bank account to pay for it, so I might ask Mr Baek if he can help me. Knowing my luck, the trip will be full of people who don’t want any new friends!
             Ok, today’s 5 things:
1)     I wore jeans to work, and no one seems to mind. This is good because jeans are comfortable!
2)     Lunch was nice, and the students seem sweet.
3)     It’s raining and Mr Baek gave me an umbrella.
4)     Today is Friday, so it is nearly the weekend.
5)     I want to cry all the time, but have managed not to at all today. Yet.

*        *          *

Ok, so scrap that, I've cried a crap ton. I feel well and truly, all-consumingly homesick. I want to go home so badly. I am skyping mum in the morning, perhaps she can help.
Honestly, though, I'm in a bad way.
Why the heck am I here?

No comments:

Post a Comment